Monday 19 January 2009

Suburban planning

So a small status update of whats happening with the project. Right now I have my head in Hammer (the source level editor) making houses. More specificly the semi-detached starting house that serves as the starting point for the map, i.e my house.

I have been carefully crafting the house, driveway, border walls, trying to follow a simple scale. Working in hammer units I have used the size of the player model in comparison to average human size. I am now happy with the scale I have created of the house and surrounding area.

I have a basic template of the semi-detached house, it still needs a few touches but once complete I will have the starting point for creating my suburbia. Using the finished starting house I can then comparitively easily make different versions, I aim to have about 4 different semi-detached buildings to make the first street with. Most houses in the area it is based on are all built from the same design and any differences are from extensions. So I can add/remove parts from my template I have in hammer to make many matching designs. Having an exact match for every single house in the town obviously is not an option, but the fact that the campaign is set in a suburban setting means all the houses look similar so I can use a few different templates and change them and still come up with a close match to the area.

Soon I should have shots of the buildings to show. Although currently because I'm using extracted game files and a custom mod to make the levels I cant at the moment get them to run inside Left 4 Dead. That will all be fixed soon, hopefully by the SDK.

No comments:

Post a Comment