Thursday 29 January 2009

Possibilities

Thought I'd make a post about what could in theory be done with the project. i.e, what could be done once all my mapping work is finished. So I'm looking quite a bit into the future here. But its nice to write down thoughts about the possibilities of a project. I'm used to writing in evaluation documents from university about what I "could have done" or what would make it better.

With Left4Dead campaigns you are given more things to do than before, normally when making a map for a source game like Counter-Strike you have the models and textures used in the original game, and you have to make a map with them. Adding custom textures, sounds etc are problematic as the server hosting the map also has to host all the new content and make the player download them when connecting to the server. With left4dead you can release maps as a zip file containing contents for multiple folders (maps,models,sounds etc) which you download and extract into the right folders. One example of a team of folks doing this for their campaign is the Dead before Dawn guys (search www.l4dmods.com). They have a huge amount of custom models, textures and now even their own music being made. (check http://www.l4dpodcast.net/blog/) for the link. So, these guys are a team, rather than just me on my own. But it certainly gives me ideas.

Possible Pipe Dream Ideas:
Ask a composer to make some music for the campaign.
Recruit an environmental artist or spend more time myself to make custom props.
Make myself or recruit a texture artist.

I particularly like getting my own music into the campaign. I will be watching the Dead before Dawn team closely to see how they pull it off.

Right, sorry about such impractical post, but its good to share my thoughts, even if none of them will be implemented.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you'll get some help as your project gets closer and closer to completion. I would offer my help, but I have no experience and don't have the time to learn with my last semester of classes. But just keep spreading the fact that you are making a mod around the usual places, and they will come.

    ReplyDelete